A cast-iron-framed 13-bay by 9-bay engine works built in 1870 for Gourlay Brothers, comprising rubble-built walls with dressed-stone quoins, and a piended slate roof divided into two, the wider part covering an erecting shop, and the smaller the adjacent machine-shop galleries. We were commissioned to dismantle and re-erect 150m away, by agreement with Historic Scotland. The building was dismantled. re-erected, and formed into a retail unit for Borders Books. The gantry crane was re-assembled and is now a permanent fixture visible within the retail unit. The building is most famous for fabrication of turbines for Captain Scott's ship Discovery.
Gourlay Engineering Works / Dundee Foundry
DUNDEE DD1 3JS
Click or tap an image to view full-screen.