The property is a category 'A' redundant granite Gothic church building situated in the centre of Aberdeen, designed by A Marshall McKenzie and was built in 1903. The building sits directly adjacent and linked to the historic Marischal College. The clients brief was to repair, restore and sympathetically convert the disused former church property into a new headquarters for a global energy company, designed to very high and contemporary standards. Restoration of the existing building interior to original standards will be strictly adhered to. The design concept was to create a simple steel structure within the existing building which will have minimal impact on the existing stonework walls and which can be easily reversible and dismantled in the future if required. Retention of the main building volumes will be maintained, especially at the side aisle where a full height void is to be created to the roof, ensuring that all users and visitors will continue to enjoy the full scale of the single aisle and heavy stone gothic arches. The new extension is designed to appear detached from the original building and is lightweight in appearance with much use of glazing and lightweight materials. The conversion floors are designed to appear as if they 'float' in the building and are to be visually detached away from the original stone aisle external walls. Retention of the 'aisle' and two gothic stone piers and arches was a key part to the design concept and they are to be retained and enjoyed in their entirety. Although contemporary and minimalist in design, the new conversion fully respects the existing buildings features.
Click or tap an image to view full-screen.