Established in 1137, St. Magnus Cathedral is one of the two surviving medieval cathedral churches in use in Scotland and is owned by the people of Orkney. ARPL was the winner of the RIAS design competition for the design of the St Magnus Centre. The developed design incorporated a study library and community rooms on a site overlooking the Cathedral and an extension to the existing hall. The hall combines a community meeting place with visitor facilities and study library; the flexible spaces cater to a variety of church, community and arts events. Organised around a central hallway which terminates in a large glazed bay overlooking the cathedral The project won a Civic Trust Award.
KIRKWALL KW15 1NX
Kirk Session of St. Magnus Cathedral
Click or tap an image to view full-screen.