The RIAS is the country's most important resource for architectural material.
We have a specialist bookshop, a library for members and students, and an extensive architectural books and drawings collection, much of which is kept with the Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historic Monuments of Scotland (RCAHMS) in Edinburgh.
Although small, the RIAS Library is of exceptional significance to the profession's history. Computerised cataloguing of the Library is ongoing. The Library is available to members and students by prior appointment. Contact: Carol-Ann Hildersley 0131 229 7545 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
The RIAS Drawings Collection consists of approximately 9000 drawings, with a considerable number of historical photographs, some sketchbooks and framed material.
The earliest drawings in the Collection are by James Adam. There is a fine series of drawings by William Playfair, mostly from when he was a student. There are examples by David Bryce, Alexander Thomson, and a significant collection of turn-of-the-century drawings by Robert Lorimer (part of the Scott Morton Collection), James Jerdan and James Miller. The James Miller Archive is the largest single archive in the Collection, comprising some 4000 drawings ranging from 1880 to 1945.
The Collection also has a significant quantity of 1930s drawings, including those by Sir Basil Spence, James Bowhill Gibson, James Houston and David Carr. In addition there is a growing number of post-war drawings.
The RIAS Collection is housed in the premises of the Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland, John Sinclair House, 16 Bernard Terrace, Edinburgh and is managed by the Curator of the National Monuments Record. It is open to the public at normal Commission times - which are available by telephoning 0131 662 1456 - preferably by prior appointment.
If you have any material which the RIAS would be interested in please contact Neil Baxter at the RIAS.
If the material is easily transportable, the RIAS would be pleased to have it delivered, by prior arrangement, to its premises at 15 Rutland Square; or also by prior arrangement, to the NMRS at John Sinclair House, 16 Bernard Terrace, Edinburgh.